Airways is a world-leading provider of air traffic management services and a central part of New Zealand’s aviation system.
The state owned enterprise looks after key aviation infrastructure and is responsible for managing New Zealand’s 30 million square kilometre ‘Flight Information Region’ – one of the world’s largest areas of sovereign airspace.
Airways also delivers training and consultancy services in over 65 countries.
Airways wanted to migrate its MS SharePoint solution from on-site to the Cloud. Airways had an existing SharePoint 2010 on-site intranet and document management system, which had been heavily customised over time, and the nature of many of the components (Full Trust Solutions) meant that they could not be migrated to SharePoint Online.
The key objectives for Airways
- Have an installation and configuration of Office 365 and Azure as an enabling platform to provide scalable Cloud business solution
- Intranet to provide a sense of community and to disseminate key corporate information
- Stable and reliable cloud based backup and disaster recovery platform for email and files
- Secure and controlled records management system
Solution: Zephyr Consulting
Zephyr Consulting provided Airways with experienced SharePoint consultants, skilled in migration to the Cloud, and assisted with the development and implementation of a plan to migrate content and sites using the Share-Gate migration tool.
Zephyr Consulting redeveloped the existing on site SharePoint 2010 within SharePoint Online so that Airways users could continue to operate with a limited amount of retraining. The term “operate” is used to reflect the normal range of activities that a user would undertake in SharePoint notably – locate static information by navigation or search, create and file documents, share and update documents, collaborate with others using links, use normal and advanced search to locate any single or range of documents/records.
Several improvement opportunities for the “look and feel” and “ease of use” of SharePoint were also undertaken:
- Simple re-branding while staying close to existing brand guidelines
- Construction of templates for project, team and intranet sites
- ‘My Apps’ area added to provide access to key applications and information from any device
- Provision of a records management solution based on AvePoint online services and SharePoint Records Centre to enable Airways users to comply with a loaded Disposal and Retention Schedule
- Integrating the functionality of Office365 and Azure with Airways intranet requirements:
- Yammer to capture comments and generate discussion on blogs and posted news stories
- Office Graph to enable an enhanced document search, incorporating the favourite workspaces relative to the logged on user
- Development of the intranet: enabling ease of use and navigation on smartphones and tablet devices
- Office365 video portal to share video content published on the intranet
- Azure Web Services to store the home page ensuring fast and responsive navigation of the intranet